Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Went Walking




I Went Walking by Sue Williams is a great story for young children. It's rhythm is similar to the classic book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle. It's got lots of rhyme and repetition, which are also essential components of an awesome children's book. Children love using felt boards to tell stories. It gives them something to hold in their hands and encourages participation.

Below are some feltboard pieces I made to use with the the story I Went Walking. I traced the outlines of the animals onto non-fusable interfacing (from Fabricland) using a thin Sharpie marker. I coloured the pieces using pencil crayons. The patterns come from Liz and Dick Wilmes' 2's Experience Felt Board Fun.


I have searched high and low on the internet and I have been unable to find the EXACT feltboard story pattern for you to print. Instead, you can either trace the animals out of the story book or trace farm animals out of a colouring book.




It's handy to have a set of felt board farm animals because they can be used in so many ways. If you don't have time to do this, simply use toys if you have access to a farm set - it will have the same effect. Only you will notice if you don't have the exact pieces that match the story!

Here are a couple of songs I have used with the felt board farm animals I made. I have left the links to the lyrics below the songs.

Old MacDonald Had a Farm
http://www.dltk-teach.com/rhymes/macdonald/mlyrics.htm

We're On Our Way to Grandpa's Farm
http://www.songsforteaching.com/folk/grandpasfarmmarla.php

Are there any other great farm songs readers can add to their repertoire?

No comments:

Post a Comment