Monday, August 9, 2010

How are you feeling?


This morning I was preparing for a special storytime visit at a local child care centre. When brainstorming what songs I would like to sing I considered the topic of feelings. Feelings are very complex and can be difficult to understand. Even though I am well beyond childhood I sometimes don't have the words I need to describe how I am feeling! With this in mind, I bring the song "If You're Happy and You Know It" into the spotlight.

This song is an excellent springboard for talking about feelings. There are so many feelings that you can bring into this song aside from being happy and sad.

Here is the original song:

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.
If you're happy and you know it then your face will surely show it.
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.

You can also sing:

If you're sad and you know it keep on crying.
If you're mad and you know it give a frown.
If you're sleepy and you know it give a yawn.
If you're sick and you know it cough and sneeze.
If you're surprised and you know it open your mouth.

Fun-loving songs like this can help your child build their vocabulary. Even though it is seems so simple, sometimes it can be difficult for your child to find the words to describe how they feel. You can further develop feelings using children's picture books.

Are there any other suggestions for song verses or picture books?

No comments:

Post a Comment