Friday, July 16, 2010
The List of AWESOME...literacy style
The Book of AWESOME by Neil Pasricha is all about big celebrations of life's little moments. I have been reading it lately and finding humour and appreciation in all the little things that can add up to make one great day. With this in mind, I got thinking about how childhood can be filled with many AWESOME things, especially in respect to early literacy milestones. It's these small things children do, that make us smile, that prepare them for lifelong reading success.
Some AWESOME things I have thought about are:
- books available in public places that welcome children to read them (Doctor's offices, the hairdressers, and so forth)
- the first time your child writes their name
- free early learning programs (Ontario Early Years Centres, public libraries)
- father involvement - seeing Daddies and children reading together
Child Reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle
- listening to your child "read" the first book they memorize
- your child recognizing a sign (i.e., McDonalds!)
For more information on The Book of Awesome or the blog 1000 Awesome Things, visit
If you have any suggestions that I can add to my list, please add comments below!