Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Starting the day they're born...

This past weekend, I was invited to a baby shower for some close friends. Naturally, as an Early Literacy Specialist, I found it most appropriate to give books. In the words of Mem Fox,

"The best time to start reading aloud to a baby is the day it is born. The lilting rhythm of a simple bedtime book on that first thrilling, exhausting day is soothing for the tremulous parents and the new child and adds to the bonding between them. It gives them something to "talk about" together. And much to the surprise of most adults, babies love books. They respond to the brightness of the pictures, to the rhythm of the words, and to the presence of a loving adult."

- Reading Magic

I highly recommend reading the book cover to cover if you're got the time. It talks about early literacy in plain and simple language and explains how you can change your child's life by reading to them everyday.

Reading problems are difficult to fix but very easy to prevent. According to Mem Fox, "Children's brains are only 25 percent developed at birth. From that moment, whenever a baby is fed, cuddled, played with, talked to, sung to, or read to, the other 75 percent of its brain begins to develop. And the more stimulation the baby has through its senses of touch, taste, smell, sight, and hearing, the more rapidly that development will occur. Reading aloud to children early in life also rapidly develops their speaking skills. Children can not learn to speak unless they are spoken to."

Leave a comnment if you've read the book.

1 comment:

  1. Best. Book. Ever! As a literacy specialist, I use it all the time. It is easy to understand and easy to read. I just love it.